DiskOnChip 2000 and CVS Drivers

Philippe philippe at accuitee.com
Thu Jul 31 13:32:14 EDT 2003

Hi,

I'm a newbie to the MTD world.

My hardware :

  VIAC3 MotherBoard + DiskOnChip support
  DiskOnChip 2000 32MiB MD2202-D32 (linux adress 0xD0000, 0xD000 for the
dformat utility)

I'm running Linux 2.4.20 patched with mtd drivers from CVS (2003-07-28)
The patch was applied using the tool patchin.sh :
sh patchin.sh -c -j /usr/src/linux-2.4.20

Everything went fine.
I patched grub and installed the firmware into the DOC.
My DOC is now able to boot (LanBoot)

Everything works great under GRUB/NFTL.

Now I want to use two partitions (there is a similar post but it's
pretty old and there were no real answer) :
 - 2Mb (NFTL/EXT2) kernel + initrd.gz (RO)
 - 30Mb (JFFS/JFFS2) config files, log files etc... (RW)

I read (the last two weeks) that setting up JFFS2 on DOC is tricky.
I saw several posts (from 2001) with patches to build a
FAKE_PARTITION_SYSTEM. I wasn't able to set it up with my 2.4.20 kernel
and MTD stuff.

I looked into the MTD stuff and saw that there is a NAND-Driver for the
DiskOnChip (nand/diskonchip.c).

- Is this piece of code usable ?
- Is there any documentation or any howto which explain how to configure
the kernel to use the DiskOnChip with it?

Thank you and sorry to disturb the mailing list if I missed the answer.

Philippe