Cmdline partitions

Jonas Larsson jonas.larsson at netinsight.net
Mon Aug 11 03:31:59 EDT 2003

Hi all. I've had some trouble creating my mtd partitions
with the 2.6.0-test2 kernel and I need some advice. I have
my own mapping driver for our board (not submitted yet) which
is based on the dc21285 map driver.

In the 2.5.70-rmk1 kernel I call parse_cmdline_partitions with
mtd_id="mymapdriver", and specify mtdparts=mymapdriver:<partitions>
to the kernel. In 2.6.0-test2-rmk1 I have to call parse_mtd_partitions
to parse the cmdline. However I cannot specify my mtd_id from the map
driver (except setting the .name member of my map_info struct) as I
could with 2.5.70. This makes the line

if ((!mtd_id) || (!strcmp(part->mtd_id, mtd_id)))

in cmdlinepart.c:parse_cmdline_partitions() to fail.

The edb7312 map driver calls parse_mtd_partitions like this:
mtd_parts_nb = parse_mtd_partitions(mymtd, probes, &mtd_parts,
"edb7312-nor");

But the 4th arg (origin) is a unsigned long and as I can see
is not used by the implementation of the function. Is this
really the way it is supposed to be?

Comments?

/ Jonas