Problem mounting JFFS2 as root, works for ext2

Dan Cardamore dan.cardamore at officeserver.ca
Sun Aug 10 11:50:23 EDT 2003

On Sun, Aug 10, 2003 at 09:27:04AM +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-08-09 at 06:33, Dan Cardamore wrote:
>
> > If I boot using JFFS2 as my root, I get:
> > <snip>
> > VFS: Mounted root (jffs2 filesystem)
> > mount_devfs_fs(): unable to mount devfs, err: -2
>   <...>
> > Warning: unable to open an initial console.
> > Kernel panic: No init found.  Try passing init= option to the kernel
> >
> > If I boot from /dev/hda3 as my root (ext2), I get everything working
> > perfect.
>
> Does it bitch about failing to mount devfs in the case where you mount
> ext2-root too?

No, everything boots properly when I ext2.  I should add some more info:
 - When it mounts the jffs2 FS, it does it instantly which means that it
   can't be mounted.  Mounting it properly takes about 20 seconds.
 - In my initrd linuxrc, I can run:
   mount -t jffs2 /dev/mtdblock/1 /
   and it works just fine.  Then the kernel unmouts / and tries to mount
   it again.

I've gotten past the problem by making my /dev/hda1 boot partition a
mini-root with just busybox and it then mounts the JFFS2 partition and
pivot_root's to it.

If anyone has an idea though as to why the kernel can't mount it, I'd
love to skip that kluge.

Thanks,

Dan

Dan Cardamore                              dan.cardamore at officeserver.ca