Can't load yaffs.o (unresolved symbol __get_mtd_device)

llandre r&d at wawnet.biz
Thu Aug 7 07:23:02 EDT 2003

>On Sun, 2003-09-07 at 20:47, Charles Manning wrote:
> > I would suggest you resolve the real problem.
>
>  <...>
>
> > Thus it seems the  mtd header files you are including are inconsistent
> with
> > the mtd you have in the kernel. Likely the cure is just fixing up your
> > include paths.
>
>It's not just include paths which are broken, Charles. The CFLAGS are
>randomly different too. Take a look at the way the MTD makefiles build
>-- using 'make -C $KERNELDIR SUBDIRS=`pwd` modules'. That's basically
>the only way to get it right consistently.

I solved the problem. I was building the YAFFS module on the target that
unfortunately has no working RTC device yet. So the system clock is
initialized to Dec, 31st 1969 every time system boots. I don't know why
this caused this erroneous build (the yaffs.o file was built anyway but gcc
warned about the clock skew).
Then I tried to build the module on the development host trough the
cross-compiler ppc-linux-gcc (the source files are the same because I use a
NFS to share the sources between the host and the target).
After building it this way, I can load it on the target without any problem.

Many thanks again for the help.

llandre