JFFS2 ram memory usage

Øyvind Harboe oyvind.harboe at zylin.com
Thu Aug 7 07:08:15 EDT 2003

>You could also remove the actual compression routines if
>you're going to do that.

In my patch I:

- removed the allocation of the compression/decompression buffer
that the compression routines uses to attempt to compress.
- removed the invocation of the compression/decompression call.

>Other users, especially eCos users, may want to individually
>select the compression algorithms available too.

Agreed.

I haven't checked, but I can't imagine that the runlength
compressor using a lot of memory.

>Finding a way to eliminate the 'totlen' field of the
>jffs2_raw_node_ref structure might be productive. Or possibly
>making the jffs2_raw_node_ref contain doubly-linked lists if
>that then means we can discard obsolete nodes immediately
>rather than keeping them around.

I don't speak enough JFFS2 currently to comfortably attempt this.

Øyvind