A question on ECC

Edward Lee (???) noshel at idis.co.kr
Sat Apr 19 00:14:01 EDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Thomas Gleixner" <tglx at linutronix.de>
To: "Edward J. Lee" <noshel at idis.co.kr>; <linux-mtd at lists.infradead.org>
Sent: Friday, April 18, 2003 5:49 PM
Subject: Re: A question on ECC

> On Friday 18 April 2003 11:47, Edward J. Lee wrote:
> >
> > I tried this last night, and I got a bunch of "YAFFS ReadChunk with real
> > ECC_INFO".
> > when both reading/writing.
> > Nothing else, do we need more information?
>
> I assume there were no messages containing YAFFS ReadChunk with dummy ECC
> info.

    right.

> That means, YAFFS supplies always a pointer to yaffs_oobinfo structure.
> Do the "I'ts not recommended ...." messages follow up the above message, or
> show they up elsewhere ? That means, are they really related to accessing the
> YAFFS partitions ? Please provide a short debug output, where I can see the
> context of those "It's not recommended ..." messages.

I'm currently not in the proper environment to send you the debug msgs,
but I can tell you that the 'It's not recommended...' stuff came out just 'before'
the YAFFS msgs did. A bunch of 'It's not recommended...', and then another
bunch of 'Real Chunk..'.
I send you the output next monday, I'll have to newly setup a few things before
trying it again.

> Are there any other functions accessing the flash device ?
>
> You use 2 partitions out of 5 for YAFFS. What are the other partitions for?

The first partition contains the state of the whole device,
the second and third has the kernel image, (the first three partitions are stored as raw binary)
and the forth and fifth is used as YAFFS.