[newbie] MTD and tiny RAM

Jörn Engel joern at wohnheim.fh-wedel.de
Fri Sep 27 05:05:15 EDT 2002

On Thu, 26 September 2002 09:25:41 +0200, free wrote:
> I use a very tiny SRAM (128ko) battery backuped to save
> very important and changeable data.
> I have a char. driver for it (i know how to read/write it)
> I would like to mount it on Linux VFS but it seems that
> bloc drivers are RAM cached.
> Acces on this SRAM must be immediatly apply (if power goes
> down data must be safe)
>
> Does MTD could help me :
> - is my SRAM not to tiny (128KO) for use with MTD ?
> - could i acces to my SRAM through MTD in block mode without caching ?
> - what king of file system could fit on such tiny RAM ?

(This assumes 128KO == 128 kilobyte)

You could use the slram driver for this and put a jffs2 on top of it.
But slram uses eraseblocks of 64kiB and jffs2 needs 5 of those free
for being operational. You should tweak the slram driver to use
something closer to 4kiB.

Jörn

--
There's nothing better for promoting creativity in a medium than
making an audience feel "Hmm ­ I could do better than that!"