Interest in DOC and YAFFS? --> YAFFS bootloading

Marc Singer elf at buici.com
Tue Sep 24 00:44:34 EDT 2002

On Tue, Sep 24, 2002 at 03:58:00PM +1200, Charles Manning wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Sep 2002 15:44, Marc Singer wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 24, 2002 at 12:03:45PM +1200, Charles Manning wrote:
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > I'm considering getting YAFFS working on DOC. I'm trying to gauge
> > > interest to prioritise vs other things.
> > >
> > > If you don't know what YAFFS is, it's a NAND-specific journalling
> > > file system. Ask Google for more info.
> > >
> > > Currently YAFFS works with raw NAND (using software ecc), though
> > > some people have patched it to use hardware ecc, so I figure DOC
> > > support should be relatively simple.
> >
> > Do you know how it boots?  Does grub support it?
>
> By "it" I assume you mean YAFFS.
>
> Doing a yaffs-specific bootloader is pretty simple. We have discussed the
> general approach  on the YAFFS list before. At least two people have done
> yaffs bootloaders. One of these might be rolled in with grub. Maybe someone
> else on the yaffs list can answer that.

Some people think that writing a new kernel would be easy.  %^)

The trouble is coming up with a convenient method.  LILO stores a list
of blocks.  GRUB reads filesystems.  GRUB is better in the long run,
but harder to implement.

Nowadays, I'm using syslinux because LILO is such a pain to get right
and GRUB doesn't (last time I checked) like the DOC.  I just got done
working out the kinks in etherboot so it will run with a DOC.  I guess
GRUB is next.