DiskOnChip 2000 with Mandrake Linux with kernel 2.4.18

Mark Meade mark at lakeshoremicro.com
Wed Sep 18 16:25:28 EDT 2002

Hor Meng Yoong wrote:
> b)  The DOC firmware was DOC42.EXB
>       - I tried to boot normal or failsafe mode, in both cases, grub
> told me:
>            "kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda1 devfs=mount
> failsafe mem=128M
>                  [Linux-bzImage,  setup=0x1400,  size=0xfe6c8]
>                  Error 28: Selected item cannot fit into memory".

This error is caused by not having enough conventional memory (<608k).  The
latest Grub code (CVS) appears to have lowered the memory requirements needed
to boot a bzImage kernel.

The M-Sys DOC firmware seems to use up quite a bit of lower memory, and it
hasn't gotten any better with the 5.x versions.  Yet another reason to
replace it with Grub... ;-)