recommended Filesystem for DoC?

Erich Schubert erich at debian.org
Sat Sep 14 19:51:39 EDT 2002

I'm preparing a thin client employing a 8 MB M-Systems DoC.
My current system is at 6 MB uncompressed, but i'd like to add some
local fonts, and lpd and a sound server, so i'd like to use some
compression.
I was thinking about setting up the static part using a cramfs;
but i need some files on the flash to be writeable
(configuration files such as IP address, X11 server address etc.)

I've seen these two JFFS file systems; but actually i don't need much
journalling (after all i don't change the config too often ;)
and JFFS seems to be designed for the other flash type.
Should i use an ext2 filesystem then?
I was thinking about mounting a cramfs ro as root, a tmpfs in some other
dir for automatic files (such as xserver output) and the actual
filesytem on the device in /writefs.
On that i should then store the kernel and the cramfs-initrd?

any recommendations for the system?
grub or lilo? (right now i'm using grub to boot the system off a small
partition ~8 MB)
any good howto for installing the bootloader?

Gruss,
Erich Schubert
--
        erich@(mucl.de|debian.org)        --        GPG Key ID: 4B3A135C
          Go away or i'll replace you with a very small shell script.