GPL ,LGPL ,and our application

Tim Riker Tim at Rikers.org
Fri Sep 6 00:34:50 EDT 2002

This is the wrong list for this question. I've copied the uClibc list on
my reply that would be a better place to ask.

As noted in the COPYING.LIB:

http://uclibc.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/uClibc/COPYING.LIB?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

uClibc is under the LGPL which states:

  5. A program that contains no derivative of any portion of the
Library, but is designed to work with the Library by being compiled or
linked with it, is called a "work that uses the Library".  Such a
work, in isolation, is not a derivative work of the Library, and
therefore falls outside the scope of this License.

So your application can link to uClibc and not be required to be open
source. This would not be true if the GPL license was used, but is true
under the LGPL.

--
Tim Riker - http://rikers.org/ - TimR at Debian.org
Lineo CTO - Tim at Lineo.com - http://www.Lineo.com/