cmdline.c file name collision

Scott Anderson scott_anderson at mvista.com
Wed Nov 13 14:31:43 EST 2002

"Hicks, Jamey" wrote:
> hmm.  My first thought was to rename drivers/mtd/cmdline.c to
> drivers/mtd/mtdcmdline.c or drivers/mtd/cmdlinepart.c.

That sounds reasonable.  Does someone that has direct access to the CVS
repository want to move the files around in the repository (so we don't
lose history) or should I just submit a patch that removes the file and
adds the file back with a different name?

> Actually, that was my second thought.  My first thought was to wonder
> why CONFIG_MODVERSIONS flattens the kernel source file namespace.
> I just turned on CONFIG_MODVERSIONS to build an ipaq kernel, and I find
> I also have a name conflict on arch/arm/mach-sa1100/pm.c and kernel/pm.c.

I've been told third hand or so that it is a "known limitation" in 2.4.
I just looked in 2.5, and this limitation has been eliminated (there is
a hierarchy of files under include/linux/modules that parallels the
source hierarchy).

With that new found information, I guess a new question comes up: does
working around the 2.4 limitation warrant the rename when the limitation
is removed in 2.5?

    Scott Anderson
    scott_anderson at mvista.com   MontaVista Software Inc.
    (408)328-9214               1237 East Arques Ave.
    http://www.mvista.com       Sunnyvale, CA  94085