Q on MTD support for NOR flash

Jörn Engel joern at wohnheim.fh-wedel.de
Sat Nov 9 15:57:30 EST 2002

On Sat, 9 November 2002 12:36:50 -0800, Kevin Kaichuan He wrote:

> We are considering to use NOR flash in a embedded linux
> system. But it seems that NAND flash support was mentioned
> a lot in MTD instead of NOR flash. I'm wondering if there
> is intensive NOR flash support in MTD, specifically if
> AMD's boot sector NOR flash
> (AM29LV800B,http://www.amd.com/us-en/FlashMemory/ProductInformation/0,,37_1447_1623_1468%5E1532,00.html)
> is supported.

Yupp.
Nand flash support is not too old and thus is getting a lot more
development now. Nor, in almost all cases, simply works.

> Also can we partition the AM29LV800B into multiple partitions and
> mount different filesystem on it (e.g. JFFS on RW partiton and Cramfs
> on RO partition) ?

Yupp.

> How about the boot sector of NOR flash, is it supported too ?

Kinda. If you have to access the small fragments seperately, you might
run into problems. But that is usually only done from a bootloader,
not from linux.
For all practical purposes, yupp.

Jörn

--
Fancy algorithms are slow when n is small, and n is usually small.
Fancy algorithms have big constants. Until you know that n is