MTD Config.in items not escaped by bus availability

Jörn Engel joern at wohnheim.fh-wedel.de
Thu Nov 7 10:21:25 EST 2002

On Thu, 7 November 2002 08:50:53 -0500, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 07, 2002 at 08:00:36AM +0000, David Woodhouse wrote:
> >
> > What happens when someone makes a mapping driver for UML which mmaps part
> > of /dev/kmem from the host?
>
> I hope I am understanding the question/scenario you are proposing, but
> the answer seems to simple, so I am sure I am missing something.

Yupp. The actual NOR chip is connected to the memory bus and can be
accessed by reading/writing to some memory addresses. /dev/kmem gives
you access to all physical memory, so any user space program with
permissions to write /dev/kmem could act as a device driver.

This userspace program is uml. It maps host memory to uml memory and
can use all the hardware device drivers that were useless until then.

I hope, I didn't miss too much, David. Hit me, I can take it. :-)

Jörn

--
Fantasy is more important than knowlegde. Knowlegde is limited,
while fantasy embraces the whole world.