Newby question --> source tree management

Charles Manning manningc2 at actrix.gen.nz
Mon May 20 03:48:04 EDT 2002

On Mon, 20 May 2002 18:49, David Woodhouse wrote:
> manningc2 at actrix.gen.nz said:
> > OK, I've pulled the latest mtd stuff from CVS and have it in a
> > direcory  called ~/mtd.
> >
> > Now I want to apply these files to my kernel directory (ie so that the
> > files  end up where they should be in the kernel tree).
> >
> > I figure there's some flavour of cp or something that I should be
> > using.
>
> You should be able to build modules just by typing 'make', and it'll find
> the build tree for your kernel in /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build. You can
> override that with LINUXDIR= and also ARCH= and CROSS_COMPILE= as normal
> with a kernel build.
>
> If you want to build stuff into your kernel, copy or symlink the contents
> of the drivers/mtd and include/linux/mtd directories into your kernel tree.
>
> I usually just use symlinks into the checked out MTD tree,
> so I can continue to cvs update it easily, etc.
>
> There's a 'patchin.sh' script which does some of this, I think. I've never
> paid much attention to it.

Thanx David

The symlinks sound like the best option once you get a bit more integrated
than building seperate modules.

Manual copying sucketh hugely and sounds rather error prone.

Can you give a few more details on how you structure this? I thought maybe of
making an equivalence between LINUXDIR and the cvs root  mtd (which to me
would seem the nicest) , but this would seem to cause pulling CVS to go stomp
some key files at that level Makefile, COPYING...

Thanx

-- Charles