Latest CVS and 2.2.x

elf at buici.com elf at buici.com
Tue May 7 11:50:52 EDT 2002

On Tue, May 07, 2002 at 04:29:47PM +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:
> When building from the CVS tree itself, the makefiles should add the CVS
> tree's include directory first on the include path, so it should work OK.
> When building by copying the CVS code into your kernel tree, you should
> copy the headers over so that should work too.
>
> What did you do, and precisely what were the errors?

I sent this over the weekend to the list:

  It appears that at least one of the include references in the CVS code
  (mtd-snapshot-20020504) is not compatible with the 2.2.x kernel
  series.

  I'm building the kernel from a directory in my /home.  The kernel
  running on the development system is 2.4.x.  I unpacked a stock 2.2.17
  kernel, patched it with mtd-2.2.17.patch, and then ran patchin.sh.  I
  I checked the links and found them proper and intact.

  The first problem was that the spinlock types were defined twice
  incompatibly.  In compactmac.h, the inclusion of linux/spinlock.h at
  line 362 pulls the file from /usr/include instead of the linux source
  tree version.  Changing this include to asm/spinlock.h eliminated the
  problem, though I'm not confident that this is the right way to fix
  it.

  Then, the pci.c driver in mtd/maps failed to build, but for a reason I
  couldn't deduce.  The compiler complains that the ioremap_noncache
  symbol is missing.

  What might I be missing?  Is there another kernel patch?

What I'm doing is unpacking the CVS tree, using the patch and patchin
as I described and then building from the kernel source tree as I
normally would.  This worked with the two year old version.