bad block recovery

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Mon Mar 18 08:02:43 EST 2002

sbardsley at rlwinc.com said:
>  My understanding is that the chip is now "unreliable", which I can
> live with for now.  Does unreliable mean I can still use the chip if I
> can somehow format it?

Yes. Blocks can go bad during normal operation, and we have to be able to
deal with that case _anyway_. My nftl_format program can be made to do some
primitive tests on each erase block, and mark the completely broken ones as
such before formatting. But (for the benefit of the peanut gallery) you
should _only_ use nftl_format if you have already lost your bad block list.

--
dwmw2