bad block recovery

Stephen Bardsley sbardsley at rlwinc.com
Mon Mar 18 07:54:26 EST 2002

Greetings:

I have a DOC 2000 and cannot format it using the DOS dformat
tool supplied by M-Systems.  My ultimate goal is to boot a linux
kernel from the chip, and use the chip as a disk.

The only reason I have come up with for no being able to format
is that the bad block list is gone.  I have come to this conclusion
after reading then M-Systems FAQ, and some of this lists archives.
Is there anyway to recover the bad block list?  I do not have a backup
of it.

My understanding is that the chip is now "unreliable", which I can
live with for now.  Does unreliable mean I can still use the chip
if I can somehow format it?

The bottom line is that I want to use the chip if at all possible,
even if it is unreliable.  I would appreciate any input on the subject.
Thanks.

Steve