Administrivia.

Richard Gooch rgooch at ras.ucalgary.ca
Tue Mar 12 11:51:29 EST 2002

David Woodhouse writes:

> rgooch at ras.ucalgary.ca said:
> >  Hm. I note that formail tends to look at the From: address, which
> > IMHO is the correct thing to do.
>
> No. The From address is not the SMTP reverse-path. This message, for
> example, has a From address dwmw2 at infradead.org but the SMTP
> reverse-path, to which errors should go, is
> dwmw2 at redhat.com. (Unless it goes through the list, in which case
> the reverse-path gets changed to linux-mtd-admin@, so that errors in
> list delivery go to the list admin, not the original sender.)

Um, let me be more clear. If I want to bounce emails which, say, have
a high proportion of high-bit characters (guess why:-), I want them to
go to the From: address (i.e. the original sender), not the list
administrator. I think that's a good thing, since I want to apply the
clue-by-four to the sender, and not the list admin.

And formail looks at the From: address nicely, just the way I like it
:-)

				Regards,

					Richard....
Permanent: rgooch at atnf.csiro.au