How to Clean bad Grubfirmware off DOC?

Mark Meade mark at lakeshoremicro.com
Thu Jun 27 09:00:12 EDT 2002

g_friend at etang.com wrote:
> How can I clean the bad grub off my doc?

Since you cannot boot with the doc2000 installed, I'd recommend trying the
following, **very carefully**:

  1. Turn off system
  2. Remove DoC from board (I assume it's an ISA/PCI board with DoC socketed?)
  3. Install *empty* DoC board
  4. Boot into DOS
  5. Install latest M-Sys DOS utilities (if not already done)
  6. *** CAREFULLY *** install DoC into socket
  7. Run DFORMAT utility to replace grub firmware

*Disclaimer:  This procedure has worked for me, but it could do *bad things*
to your DoC.  Use it only as a last resort.

If your machine supports "Network" boot, you may want to try configuring GRUB
with the "--enable-diskonchip-biosnetboot" option.  This will allow you to
selectively boot from the DoC, returning to booting from a hard drive or
floppy when needed.