GRUB on DoC Millennium/2000 - Instructions

Peter Keel seegras at discordia.ch
Mon Jun 24 11:40:07 EDT 2002

* on the Mon, Jun 24, 2002 at 11:19:10AM -0400, Mark Meade wrote:
> Peter Keel wrote:
> > I'd love to. Of course, for some reason my grub can't read the
> > filesystem on the disk. The Question now is:
> >
> > "If grub can't read the filesystem, how do I tell grub where the
> > kernel resides, and how do I find this out where it is?".
>
> What type of filesystem is on your hard drive?  If it's ext2,
> GRUB should recognize the filesystem -- if you just type "kernel
> (hd0,0)/" and then hit TAB, the auto-completion
> feature should give you a list of possibilities.

I'm hoping. It was reiserfs, but now it'll be ext3.. I hope grub
has no problems reading ext3 since its the same as ext2 anyway...
in principle.. ;)

> If the hard drive you are trying to boot from has a filesystem
> other than ext2, you would need to rebuild GRUB to support it --
> the "./configure" script used in the instructions
> explicitly disabled all other types of filesystems.

I didn't take your example, and theoretically grub should have had
support for reiserfs -- but I guess it hadn't.

Peter
--
Those who give up essential liberties for temporary safety deserve
neither liberty nor safety. -- Benjamin Franklin