X Windows Performance with DOC 2000

David Cooper david at forcedpotato.com
Fri Jun 21 01:46:15 EDT 2002

David,

Some test results:

(1) X (MTD-enabled kernel,IDE)

- Works fine.

(2) X after first mounting nftla2 on /mnt/doc (MTD-enabled kernel,IDE)

- Works fine.
- But, if I try to perform any file operations on /mnt/doc the system hangs.
- If I stay away from /mnt/doc it is business as usual.

(3) X (MTD-enabled kernel,IDE), then stopping X and mounting nftla2 on
/mnt/doc

- Mount operation mount /dev/nftla2 /mnt/doc causes the shell to hang.
- Viewing the process "mount" using top shows that it is running
continuously and using 84% CPU time.
- All attempts to kill the mount process are futile.

So, it seems that once X has had its way with the system, use of the
DiskOnChip is impossible.  Question is, why?

I have been reflecting some on why SVGAlib apps run while X does not when I
use the DoC as the root file system.  My theory was that the SVGAlib
application is loaded into memory before it starts executing and talking to
the VESA BIOS.  In contrast, X is trying to setup the VESA BIOS and then
attempts to load modules from the DoC (at which point it hangs).

However, I repeated the above tests with SVGAlib and found that SVGAlib apps
and file operations on the DoC can occur at the same time with no apparent
problems.

hmmmm?

Cheers,

David Cooper