X Windows Performance with DOC 2000

David Cooper david at forcedpotato.com
Thu Jun 20 20:33:47 EDT 2002

David,

Yes, when I use a kernel with the MTD support built-in for DoC 2000 and nftl
I can still run X with the DoC in the system (unless I use the M-Systems 4.2
firmware which prevents X from running with or without MTD support).  I have
not tried loading and unloading MTD support as a kernel module.  Maybe this
is worth a go.

Interestingly, I can run SVGAlib applications from the DoC (using the VESA
driver) without any trouble.  This is confusing because I would imagine that
the SVGAlib VESA driver and the XFree86 VESA driver are both accessing the
VESA BIOS.

M-Systems have told me that the firmware DoC driver that loads into memory
at bootup sometimes conflicts in memory space that linux is trying to use.
I suppose this would explain why using different firmware versions can
prevent X from running from the IDE drive.

Cheers,

David