DOC2000 partitiioning question

Brendan J Simon brendan.simon at bigpond.com
Mon Jun 10 23:53:36 EDT 2002

I've got a single DOC2000 in PowerPC embedded system.  I want to have 3
seperate partiton, one which is read-only and the other two read-write.
 I've been told that this is easy to do from the filesystem level but
the underlying NFTL stuff can still swap bits a pieces underneath the
read-only partition.  I think what I'm after is the ability to create 3
"virtual disk devices" with single partions on each, as apposed to 1
disk device with 3 partions.

Is this doable ?
Is it reliable ?
Where can I find information on this (Howtos, etc).

What are the most suitable filesystems to place on  DOC for reliability
(ext2, ext3, JFFS, JFFS2 ...) ?
Is a journalling file system suitable for a device such as a DOC ?
Are flash file systems suitable for a DOC or are they desinged for
ordinary flash chips ?

Is there a way to search the linux-mtd archives ?
I couldn't find anything on the web site (except browsing).

Thanks for any help or pointers,
Brendan Simon.