MTD/DOC2000 question

Conrad Steenberg conrad at hep.caltech.edu
Wed Jul 24 18:25:10 EDT 2002

Hi

OK, let me reply to myself, since others have asked this question on
various lists, but the answer never seems to get posted :-)

To get the DOC to work if you get the below messages while creating a
filesystem, do the following:

1. nftl_format /dev/nftla
2. Reboot the device so that the bad "blocks" marked in the above
process are detected.
3. fdisk /dev/nftla and create the partitions you want
4. Reboot again so that the partitions can be properly detected (in the
old days exiting fdisk used to warn that this needs to be done)
5. Create the filesystem using mkfs.jffs2, mke2fs etc.

Cheers!

Conrad

On Tue, 2002-07-23 at 22:26, Conrad Steenberg wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm trying to create a filesystem on a 72M DOC2000 (Netier XL1000), and
> get up to creating a partition (/dev/nftla1). This is with Bering-rc3.
>
> When I try mke2fs /dev/nftla1, the following gets reported:
>
> NFTL_writeblock(): Cannot find block to write to
> end_request; I/O error, dev 5d:01 (unknown) sector XXXXX
> Argh! No free blocks found LastFreeEUN = 4603, FirstEUN = 3
> No Virtual Unit Chains available for folding. Failing request
>
> The device was formatted with nftl_format first.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Cheers!
>
> Conrad

| Conrad Steenberg                        |
| Caltech, Mail Code 356-48               |
| Pasadena, CA, 91125                     |
| e-mail: conrad at hep.caltech.edu          |
| Tel: (626) 395-8758                     |