Minux v Ext2 on DoC2000

Brendan J Simon brendan.simon at ctam.com.au
Sun Jul 21 22:23:53 EDT 2002

I'm building an embedded system with an MPC8260 powerpc processor and a
DiskOnChip2000.  It's quite a big embedded system (32MB DOC, 64MB RAM,
132MHz+ processor).  I'm using BusyBox with uClibc and kernel version
2.4.18-pre8.  I'm trying to save as much space on the DOC as possible.
 I've got two partitions with identical information (well almos).  One
is a failsafe backup partition.

I am currently using ext2 on the DOC as this was setup by a colleague.
 I was thinking of changing to Minux as the essential minux tools are
already available in BusyBox.  I already maintain BusyBox under my
configuration management system and don't want to maintain e2fsprogs as
well, unless it is necessary.  It all depends on the advantages and
disadvantages beteween ext2 and minux.

Has anyone got any experience with Minux and Ext2 on a DOC2000 device
runinng a linux embedded system ?  I'm sure the answer is yes :)
Could someone briefly list the main advantages and disadvantages of
minux/ext2 on such an embedded system ?
Pointers to other sources of information would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brendan Simon.