Cf Card vs DiskOnChip

Charles Manning manningc2 at actrix.gen.nz
Sun Jan 27 20:35:20 EST 2002

On Sat, 26 Jan 2002 21:05, Ramya Ravichandran wrote:
> > If the CF is "embedded" and you are not going to
> > remove it while it is
> > powered up (ie. use it like you would a DOC) then
> > you quite likely do not
> > need any PCMCIA adapter chips  I've seen a few
> > designs using CF this way.
>
> You have a desktop system and in this desktop system I
> just want to remove the HD and replace it with the CF
> card or DOC .Do you need adapters for this. IF DOC
> then can it be directly embedded in the motherboard.
>
> Please help.

OK so if I understand you correctly, you want to take a normal x86 system,
throw away the hand disk and put int a CF instead.

If that is what you want to do then the sandisk link shows how.  All you need
is a very simple cable that goes from a standard IDE connector to a CF socket.
My understanding, which might be off, is that if you look inside a Sandisk
Flashdrive then that is what you'll find.

For all you nay-sayers, there are some good reasons to do this. One good
reason to do this over a DOC-based solution is that you don't have to load
special DOC access software or have a specail DOC-friendly BIOS. The system
can't tell the difference between a CF and a rotating disk. It's a nice easy
way to get from A toZ, especially for an exploratory product or an "embedded
PC" that's going into a vehicle or other high vibration scenario that will
shake a disk to death.

kira I reckon you're being a bit rude! An honest question deserves a useful
answer - not abuse. Help or shut up. IMHO.

-- Charles