Cf Card vs DiskOnChip

Charles Manning manningc2 at actrix.gen.nz
Sat Jan 26 02:31:20 EST 2002

On Sat, 26 Jan 2002 19:29, Ramya Ravichandran wrote:
> > > Doesn't the ROM needed  depend on the application
> >
> > than
> >
> > > runs on Linux?
> >
> > you said "serial application". Doesn't seem like
> > much to me
>
> Right now I am trying to find out the price of DOC. I
> tried the serach words "DiskOnChip" and "DiskOnChip
> Price" . The search results explain DOC but don't give
> the price.
>    If the price of DOC  is less than the CF+IDE
> adapter or CF + PCMCIA-CF adapter then I guess we will
> settle for DOC.
>    Also I dont know which adapter to go for PCMCIA or
> IDE for CF as I am not a h/w person.

If the CF is "embedded" and you are not going to remove it while it is
powered up (ie. use it like you would a DOC) then you quite likely do not
need any PCMCIA adapter chips  I've seen a few designs using CF this way.

If you have an IDE bus/port on your board, then the following link also has
an appnote on interfacing to that too.

See http://www.sandisk.com/tech/oem_design/cf_dc.asp for some app notes on
doing this kinda thing.

NB Though... CF has no wear levelling and might give some product lifetime
issues (it's really a consumer technology designed with a Kleenex mentality).

-- Charles