Cf Card vs DiskOnChip

Nikhil Goel nikhil at smartbridges.com
Fri Jan 25 06:16:11 EST 2002

David Woodhouse wrote:

> rrhsin at yahoo.co.in said:
>
>>industrial environment. I am unable to decide whether to use a Compact
>>Flash card or DiskOnChip.With 128MB I need to get the whole thing
>>running. Can someone plese tell me as which one to use and why?
>
> The downside of the DiskOnChip is that the Linux driver doesn't do wear
> levelling, although it's easy enough to add, and that the vendor's driver
> is a binary-only module and hence of dubious legality.
>
> I would go for the DiskOnChip and add wear levelling support - all you need
> to do it make it randomly pick a clean block for erasure occasionally, to
> make sure stuff moves around over time.

Isn't that similar to the implementation of JFFS? So a DiskOnChip
running on the CVS based driver with JFFS should suffice for
wear-levelling! if I am missing some piece here, what should I rtfm?

regards,
nikhil

Nikhil Goel <nikhil at smartbridges.com>
Ph: +65 3240210  Ext 20, Fax: +65 3240607
Reality is a crutch for those who can't handle science fiction.