Cf Card vs DiskOnChip

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Fri Jan 25 05:53:20 EST 2002

rrhsin at yahoo.co.in said:

>    I am a newbie  developing a embedded linux controller for an
> industrial environment. I am unable to decide whether to use a Compact
> Flash card or DiskOnChip.With 128MB I need to get the whole thing
> running. Can someone plese tell me as which one to use and why?

People have reported severe reliability problems with CF cards. With the
DiskOnChip, all the translation stuff to emulate a block device is done in
software, which is probably a better option.

The downside of the DiskOnChip is that the Linux driver doesn't do wear
levelling, although it's easy enough to add, and that the vendor's driver
is a binary-only module and hence of dubious legality.

I would go for the DiskOnChip and add wear levelling support - all you need
to do it make it randomly pick a clean block for erasure occasionally, to
make sure stuff moves around over time.

--
dwmw2