MTD partitioning for AMD flash chips

Robert Kaiser rob at sysgo.de
Fri Jan 25 05:04:39 EST 2002

On Thu, 24 Jan 2002, Navin Boppuri wrote:

> I wanted to start off with the first option. I did not want to use
> physmap.c and decided to create a file exactly similar to physmap.c and
> created the necessary CONFIG options. I hardcoded the WINDOW_SIZE and
> WINDOW_ADDR parameters in this file. Everything else is exactly similar
> to the physmap file ( I looked at the example for the rpxlite board
> support in the drivers/mtd directory). I started off without any
> partitions. But when I did try booting the kernel, cfi_probe came back
> without detecting the flash device.
>
> If I use physmap directly, cfi_probe detects my flash without any
> problem. What do I need to do to get the basic stuff working without
> directly using the physmap file? I want to start off without partitions
> and then start adding partitions to it.

Have a look at some of the mapping drivers, for example netsc520.c
You need to enable partioning in the MTD core options and from
your driver, and you need to call add_mtd_partitions() rather than
add_mtd_device().

Rob

Robert Kaiser                          email: rkaiser at sysgo.de
SYSGO RTS GmbH
Am Pfaffenstein 14
D-55270 Klein-Winternheim / Germany    fax:   (49) 6136 9948-10