MTD partitioning for AMD flash chips

Navin Boppuri navin.boppuri at newisys.com
Thu Jan 24 19:13:32 EST 2002

I wanted to start off with the first option. I did not want to use
physmap.c and decided to create a file exactly similar to physmap.c and
created the necessary CONFIG options. I hardcoded the WINDOW_SIZE and
WINDOW_ADDR parameters in this file. Everything else is exactly similar
to the physmap file ( I looked at the example for the rpxlite board
support in the drivers/mtd directory). I started off without any
partitions. But when I did try booting the kernel, cfi_probe came back
without detecting the flash device.

If I use physmap directly, cfi_probe detects my flash without any
problem. What do I need to do to get the basic stuff working without
directly using the physmap file? I want to start off without partitions
and then start adding partitions to it.

Thanks a lot for ur input.

Navin Boppuri