Compatibility between m-system and mtd-driver

Felix Frey ffrey at freesurf.ch
Thu Jan 3 10:51:16 EST 2002

Hi folks,

I have a x86-board with a DOC-millenium. The DOC contains a single partition
with a ext2-fs which is intented to be the rootfs. The partition was created
and populated using the m-system driver v4.2.
When I use a kernel 2.4.9 with included mtd- and nftl-support, everything
works fine. On boot up the kernel reports:

  M-Systems NAND Flash Translation Layer driver. (C) 1999 MVHI
  $Id: nftlcore.c,v 1.73 2001/06/09 01:0943 dwmw2 Exp $
  Partition Check:
   nftla: nftla1
  VFS: Mounted root (ext2 Filesystem) readonly.
 init started: Busybox v0.51.....
--------

When I use the latest mtd-code from CVS and try to do the same, I get this:

  NFTL driver: nftlcore.c $Revision: 1.85 $, nftlmount.c $Revision: 1.25 $
  NFTL_notify_add for DiskOnChip Millennium
  NFTL_setup
   nftla: nftla1
  Freeing unused kernel memory: 48k freed
  Kernel panic: No init found.  Try passing init= option to kernel.
----
...and it's definitely not a problem with the init. The kernel seems to mount
the filesystem but has problem to read it correctly.
There is something which makes it confusing. When I use a harddrive to mount
the rootfs and try to mount and read the DOC-partition later, I don't see any
problems.

Any comments ?
Felix