Support for parallel access in nand chips

Thomas Gleixner gleixner at autronix.de
Mon Feb 25 18:58:52 EST 2002

On Tuesday, 26. February 2002 07:30, Radu Corlan wrote:
> On our application (a PPC405 embedded system), we use two TC58256 NAND
> chips conected on a 16-bit bus. we designed it this way in order to
> increase the read/write speed - it would double our bandwidth. The
> problem, of course, is that nand.c only accesses the flash 8 bits at a
> time.
>
> We intend to hack nand.c to use the 16-bit access (and make a special
> entry in nand_chip with a double erase_size), but i'd like to know if
> anybody thought of supporting the parallel access.
No.
But please don't hack nand.c. Build a nand16.c from nand.c and hack this.
Else we get a mess in the code, which was cleaned up a few days ago :)
And a lot of overhead of 8/16bit decisions. You just have to provide the same
functionality as nand.c. You will not need a special entry in nand_chip. The
information there is enough.

--
Thomas
Thomas Gleixner, autronix automation GmbH