MTD concat layer

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Fri Feb 15 13:02:09 EST 2002

rob at sysgo.de said:
>  OK, will look into this. I stole that part from Aleksander
> Sanochkin's patch. I did test it, BTW (with erase/eraseall), and it
> worked. Apparently, these tools erase the device block by block. Is it
> legal/supported at all to make erase calls covering multiple blocks or
> partial blocks ?

Partial blocks is impossible, so not supported. Multiple blocks is
permitted.

>  Hmm, I agreed with you about this before I actually attempted coding
> it this way, but the code turned out to be a mess. IMHO, it is _much_
> cleaner as a seperate layer. What would be the advantage of merging it
> into the partition code ?

Fewer wrapper layers to go through. Look at the part_read() call I
implemented - is that really so bad for the case where people don't have
multiple 'sections' in each partition?

> - significant effort, specifically since the current partitioning
>   code is scheduled for replacement by Jörn's code, so I'd have to
>   do it twice.

Jörn's code needs to provide this functionality to be merged - making sure
there's no regression is part of the work necessary for merging the new
stuff, and wouldn't necessarily fall to you.

--
dwmw2