GRUB and DOC

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Sun Feb 10 05:21:29 EST 2002

On 10 Feb 2002, raja wrote:

> =0AHi,=0A=0A Thanks a lot for your explanation.=0AI've got a DOC which i am=
>  able to format using doc121.exb=0Aand am able to mount and read write on i=
> t.but unable to recognize it at the bootup.=0A =0A1. Is there any problem w=
> ith IPL ROM ?

Not with the IPL ROM - that's just the initial stub that your motherboard
BIOS recognises as a BIOS extension, and which loads the actual int 13h
emulation code from the flash.

It is possible that the M-Systems firmware isn't recognising the NFTL
format on the DiskOnChip for some reason - it doesn't give any useful
error messages when that happens, just silently fails to install itself.

>              =0A2. If I replace the firmware with GRUB will my DOC get reco=
> gnized at bootup ?=0A=0Ai am probing into these possibilities now and i wou=
> ld happy to get your suggestions on this issue.=0A=0A=0A=0A=0A

Yes, Grub should recognise the DoC at bootup if it's a DiskOnChip 2000 or
you put in the relatively small amount of effort required to add
Millennium support to Grub. And in the unlikely event that it _doesn't_
'just work' then you have the source and can hence find out why and fix
it.

--
dwmw2