CF

Malik, Vipin [FRCO/HOU] Vipin.Malik at EmersonProcess.com
Wed Feb 6 14:09:00 EST 2002

JFFS2 also provides file system corruption protection in case of unclean
shutdowns.

To really answer your question, you need to provide the fs that you are
thinking about on top of CF.

ext2 will not work as it is not designed for regular unclean shutdowns (even
with e2fsck).
ext3 may work as it is journaled and a buddy of mine tested ext3 format
reliability with a hard drive and was happy with it (for his needs).

However, I would not use CF for any app that may be suffer asynchronous
power down. CF (at least the ones I tested a few years ago) are notoriously
bad at being able to withstand an asynchronous shutdown if the OS is writing
to them. They suffer from low level formatting failures (And in one case
even a partial hardware failure- where a portion of the CF became completely
unaccessable).

Just my 2c.

Vipin