Intel sez: Synchronous Flash and XIP is the future -- thoughts?

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Mon Dec 16 06:45:49 EST 2002

wd at denx.de said:
> Running the kernel XIP is not so insane. It can help to  reduce  boot
> time.  We  still  more  than  3  seconds from power-on to application
> start, which is not so  bad,  but  still  too  much  in  some  cases;
> avoiding  the  memcpy()  of  some  2 MB of data is kind of attractive
> then...

That's true, although even if you have the kernel on a separate flash chip
to which you don't ever write, it does cost you later because you then run
from flash which is slower than RAM. I wonder if we could copy the kernel
from flash to RAM at runtime and fix up the page tables as we go, to get the
best of both worlds?

--
dwmw2