Intel sez: Synchronous Flash and XIP is the future -- thoughts?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Dec 16 04:56:47 EST 2002

In message <2466.1040031514 at passion.cambridge.redhat.com> you wrote:

> Also true. Of course we have to distinguish between XIP of file system
> pages and of the kernel -- I was ignoring the latter because it's even less
> sane than the former. If you ever want to write to the chip, you have to
> disable all interrupts and wait while the chip is busy. For up to 20
> seconds, in the case of a slow erase.

Running the kernel XIP is not so insane. It can help to  reduce  boot
time.  We  still  more  than  3  seconds from power-on to application
start, which is not so  bad,  but  still  too  much  in  some  cases;
avoiding  the  memcpy()  of  some  2 MB of data is kind of attractive
then...

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
"Just think of a computer as hardware you can program."
- Nigel de la Tierre