Intel sez: Synchronous Flash and XIP is the future -- thoughts?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Dec 16 06:16:36 EST 2002

In message <Pine.GSO.4.44.0212161155540.15280-100000 at rose.man.poznan.pl> you wrote:

> With the XIP in kernel it is relatively simple with 2.2.x serie of
> kernels. I have managed to put most of 2.2.18 kernel onto flash, where it

We also tested this with 2.4.4 on PowerPC.

> was executing from. The most problems are with .rodata section, which is
> not read-only for kernel. It is so because some structures (one passed to

With recent kernels, at least on PPC, there are also places where the
.text  segment  is  written  into.  Some  people  even  find  "binary
patching" a cool idea.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
FORTRAN? The syntactically incorrect statement "DO 10 I = 1.10"  will
parse  and  generate  code  creating  a  variable, DO10I, as follows:
"DO10I = 1.10" If that doesn't terrify you, it should.