How does one mount an existing jffs2 partition so it is writeable?

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Tue Aug 20 08:19:14 EDT 2002

jamey.hicks at hp.com said:
>  I would much rather that JFFS2 not unlock blocks automatically.  We
> tend  to lock blocks for a reason (e.g., so that we don't accidentally
> erase  the boot loader with incorrect mount options).  I think it
> would be  reasonable for JFFS2 to query whether flash is locked
> beforehand and to  mount read-only.  I think it would also be
> reasonable to provide a mount  option directing it to unlock flash.

Yeah -- you're probably right. That's the reason I refused to do the
automatic unlock when it was originally suggested. We are fairly good about
aborting a mount attempt if it really doesn't look like a JFFS2 partition,
but if you have the partitioning wrong so that the range we try to mount
includes some JFFS2 _and_ something important, that's still going to break.

--
dwmw2