How does one mount an existing jffs2 partition so it is writeable?

Jamey Hicks jamey.hicks at hp.com
Tue Aug 20 08:12:20 EDT 2002

David Woodhouse wrote:

>ch at murgatroid.com said:
>

>> Do you need to unlock your flash before you can write to it?  That's
>>not done automatically by mtd or jffs2.  There's a diff in the ARM
>>patch system by me that might be applicable.
>>

>I'm beginning to wonder if we should make JFFS2 unlock automatically if it
>finds at least some JFFS2 nodes. Or put in the 'is_flash_locked' method and
>make JFFS2 notice that it's locked _before_ trying to write to it, and
>print an appropriate message and mount in read-only mode so it doesn't even
>let you _try_ to write to it.

I would much rather that JFFS2 not unlock blocks automatically.  We tend
to lock blocks for a reason (e.g., so that we don't accidentally erase
the boot loader with incorrect mount options).  I think it would be
reasonable for JFFS2 to query whether flash is locked beforehand and to
mount read-only.  I think it would also be reasonable to provide a mount
option directing it to unlock flash.

Jamey