Help with Dreamcast flash devices

Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon at worldnet.att.net
Sun Aug 11 14:24:08 EDT 2002

Hello from Gregg C Levine
Funny... I bought my DC console, on, or around the beginning of December
of last year, superficially for trying out either Linux, or say another
related OS, on it. So far, I have tracked down the usual collection of
resources, including several pages on a site that I find mentioned on
the ECOS pages, at Sources Red Hat. Have you had any luck getting your
DC to startup using Linux? And can you send me a CD, to try out, if I
were to supply my hard mail address? E-mail me off list with your
details. I regret that I can not actually support your flash problems.
-------------------
Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon at worldnet.att.net
"Use the Force, Luke."  Obi-Wan Kenobi

Dreamcast
> project (http://sourceforge.net/projects/linuxdc). I am currently
working on
> developing a driver for the flash memory devices available for this
machine.

> Someone else started work on this months ago, but nothing has been
done for
> ages, so I'm hacking at it now.
>
> The flash memory on the DC is "smart" - ie it's attached to an 8-bit
> micro-controller. The device communicates with the rest of the system
via a
> high speed serial ("maple") protocol. The flash is not mapped into the
sh4
> (main cpu) physical memory at all. (http://mc.pp.se/dc/vms/index.html
leads
> to more information for those interested).
>
> Well, the long and the short of it is that I am somewhat at sea here.
Are