Help with Dreamcast flash devices

adr mtd at mcmen.demon.co.uk
Sun Aug 11 14:08:06 EDT 2002

I wonder if someone here might help me.

I am one of the (too) small team of developers on the Linux on Dreamcast
project (http://sourceforge.net/projects/linuxdc). I am currently working on
developing a driver for the flash memory devices available for this machine.

Someone else started work on this months ago, but nothing has been done for
ages, so I'm hacking at it now.

The flash memory on the DC is "smart" - ie it's attached to an 8-bit
micro-controller. The device communicates with the rest of the system via a
high speed serial ("maple") protocol. The flash is not mapped into the sh4
(main cpu) physical memory at all. (http://mc.pp.se/dc/vms/index.html leads
to more information for those interested).

Well, the long and the short of it is that I am somewhat at sea here. Are
there any similar mtd devices I can look at?

Is there an explanation anywhere of how mapping works and how to 'virtual' map
something which isn't in the physical map at all?

Any other ideas (random or now) about how to make this work? Currently the
driver fails on mapping.

Adrian