MTD Partition problems

Vipin Malik vipin at embeddedlinuxworks.com
Sat Aug 3 08:47:11 EDT 2002

At 11:46 AM 8/3/2002 +0200, Jörn Engel wrote:
>On Fri, 2 August 2002 16:59:07 -0500, Malik, Vipin [FRCO/HOU] wrote:
> > I'm just getting back into playing with this.
> >
> > Is there something broken with the mtd partitioning code?
>
>Not really broken, but maybe useless.

Hmm, useless as in "that functionality has been depricated- a better way is
available- use <state better way here>" or useless as in "it's good stuff
but currently not working".

I am (almost) sure that it was working and allowed me to setup different
read/write partitions on the same flash chip (about 9-12 months ago).

> > I defined 3 mtd partitions on one 8MB flash. The partitions look fine
> on the
> > debug log and a "cat /proc/mtd" shows three devices with the proper sizes
> > and names as defined in my "mtd_partition" map structure in my map file.
> >
> > However, it seems that 6 mtd partitions have been added (even though just 3
> > show up in /proc/mtd)!
> >
> > Each of mtd[0,1], mtd[2,3] and mtd[4,5] pairs point to partitions 1,2&3
> > respectively. Each of the pairs point to the same partitions (have the same
> > stuff in them).
>
>One device of each pair is read-only. This is by design and scheduled
>to be ripped out sometime.

Sorry for the stupid question: If it's by design, why is it going to be
ripped out sometime soon?

>David, 2.4.19 is released, but I am right in my exam period. Does end
>of August and/or beginning of September sound ok for the merge?

Should I be using the main CVS code or some branch. The above was with
2.4.19-rc3.

Thanks

Vipin
P.S. I noticed that my original mail did show up, but not at work. Hmmm.
Sorry for the duplicate post.