Writing JFFS2 image to Nand flash

John Hall John.Hall at optionexist.co.uk
Mon Apr 15 09:42:39 EDT 2002

> > This image should then be written to the device with cp or dd.
> > However, if I have bad blocks on the device then dd fails.
>
> Not sure about dd, I've just been using cp. But the main issue...

Even with the correct branch of JFFS2, I think this problem will still
exist. Using cp or dd to write the initial filesystem image takes no
account of bad blocks near the beginning of the NAND flash.

> > I'm not using the jffs2_nand_branch - I had not realised there was
> > one.
>
> ...is that. Get that branch and it should work. At least, it works
> here :)

OK, I've got the jffs2-nand-branch of fs/jffs2/* and
include/linux/jffs2*. I found that this branch doesn't use the shared
zlib, so I've worked around that. However, I still get these errors
when compiling the kernel:

fs/fs.o: In function `jffs2_check_nand_cleanmarker':
fs/fs.o(.text+0x6040c): undefined reference to `jffs2_flash_read_oob'
fs/fs.o: In function `jffs2_write_nand_cleanmarker':
fs/fs.o(.text+0x60520): undefined reference to `jffs2_flash_write_oob'

Where are these two functions defined?

Regards,
John Hall