PPCBoot can't read my jffs2 image

Andrew Dixon andrew.dixon at seranoa.com
Tue Apr 2 09:28:11 EST 2002

Hi Everyone,

Sorry for the cross post but this a problem with the way the linux-mtd
layer and PPCBoot are interacting.

So here's the situation, I've got PPCBoot+Linux running on a custom
board.  I've formatted the flash to be one small raw partition for
PPCBoot and the rest is a jffs2 filesystem.  PPCBoot is reading Linux
and an initial ramdisk out of the jffs2.  In my original testing I was
booting the board via tftp and nfs and then copying copying the
filesystem onto the flash via /dev/mtdblock1.  This works great.  I
reboot and PPCBoot sees everything in the jffs2.  Now I'm trying to
automate this a little more so enhanced my build to give me a jffs2
image "wombat.jffs2".  I create this image with mkfs.jffs2 and put it
onto the flash by dd'ing it to /dev/mtd1:

	dd if=/wombat.jffs2 of=/dev/mtd1

now when I mount /dev/mtdblock1 I can see the filesystem that I've put
over there but when I reboot PPCBoot doesn't see any of the files that
are there.  But if I boot back up Linux can still see all of those files
OK.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Andy