jffs2_gcd_mtd4 <defunct>

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Sun Sep 23 11:12:54 EDT 2001

joakim.tjernlund at lumentis.se said:
> When i mount a jffs2 FS as root FS I get this [jffs2_gcd_mtd4 <defunct>
> ] process(and a [jffs2_gcd_mtd4] process as well). This will not
> happen if I mount jffs2 as a extra FS after boot(mount /dev/mtdblock4 /
> jffs2)

Init doesn't reap children which are already dead by the time it's started.
I think this was declared to be a bug in init itself.

> We are suffering somewhat from long mount times and I remember
> something about checkpoints in jffs2 would solve this problem.
> Correct?

> Anybody working on this? I would be happy to do some testing if
> needed.

Many people have been talking about it. I've seen no code yet, nor even
serious debate on the details of how to do it.

> I remember seeing something about beeing alble to control the
> compression level in jffs2(at mount time?), but I can not find in the
> sources. Is it implemented yet?

This is a lot more straight-forward, but still not yet done.

--
dwmw2