Question/suggestion

Joakim Tjernlund joakim.tjernlund at lumentis.se
Tue Oct 16 12:29:23 EDT 2001

Hi All

First:
I have noticed that when I mount a jffs2 FS(created with mkfs.jffs2) for the
first time and look at the output of the df command, I see that "Use%" field
slowly rise to 100% and then it drops back to ~15% and then it stays there.
During this rise I also noticed that kupdate was eating alot of CPU(~80%)

Is this normal?

Second:
I have been playing with compression a bit. I changed the compress order so
that RTIME is tried before ZLIB and this is what I got:

                     zlib            rtime
RootFS image size    7582088 bytes   9295044 bytes
mount time           10 sek          10 sek

The system also feels a bit faster with RTIME than ZLIB when execute
programs like ls, du. Is RTIME faster to decompress data than ZLIB or is it
just in my mind? :-) I am on a custom MPC860 board 80 MHz.

Is there any point to have a config option for preferred compression algorithm order?

 Joakim