DOC2000 support for a custom PPC750 board

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Mon Nov 5 04:36:49 EST 2001

boris at emcraft.ru said:
>  I'm new to the MTD project, so any information will be very
> appreciated. What is the current state of MTD support for DOC?

It works, for the DiskOnChip 2000 and DiskOnChip Millennium. Not the
Millennium Plus. It doesn't do sane wear-levelling though. That's left as an
exercise for the reader. Pointers and CVS access will happily be given to
anyone who looks serious about doing it.

> Do MTD DOC drivers require any firmware from M-Sys, or does MTD provide
> its own DOC firmware?

The DiskOnChip requires no firmware. It is not an intelligent device.
What's normally referred to as the DiskOnChip 'firmware' is the BIOS
extension which installs a driver which hooks the PC INT 13h disk service
interrupt and hence makes DOS and LILO work. I assume you don't want that :)

> Then, I know that M-Systems  suggests running its
> DOS-based tools for partitioning and formatting a DOC device. Are
> there any open-source replacements for them?

There is nftl_format.c which performs the basic function of creating an
NFTL on the raw flash. NFTL is the translation layer used on the DiskOnChip
devices to emulate a normal block device. It is preferred to use the DOS
utilities because their response to finding bad blocks has been far better
tested. But nftl_format should be OK.

--
dwmw2